Friday 4 January 2013

Paris: Day Two

We decided to have a walk around Pigalle this morning en route to breakfast. Since it's a red light district, we held onto our bags extra tight. I wouldn't advise you to go at night time ladies (especially if you're alone!)

What we thought would be a pleasant 'morning stroll', turned out to be incredibly funny! I didn't know what to expect - but lets just say walking down what seems the longest road of your life, passing sex shops and huge 'live show' signs, when you're with your dad makes for an awkward experience! (But an experience, none the less)

It's not a myth, people in France actually walk around with baguettes!

If you want to visit the Moulin Rouge too, ride the metro to 'Blanche', as the exit leads you directly to the red windmill! 
Scarf: Zara

We then walked up one of the winding streets full of beautiful florists and patisseries, until we reached 'Cafe des 2 moulins'. It's the little quaint cafe from the 2001 french movie 'Amelie'! If you know me, you know how much I love the movie, so I couldn't come to Paris without popping in for brunch!

My dad ordered 'Amelie's breakfast' and I had the 'Gouter D'Amelie' (that's a creme brulee and capuccino, for us English folk!) 

We then took the metro to 'Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre' on a quest to get a glimpse of Da Vincis Mona Lisa! The metros exit led to 'The Carrousel du Louvre Shopping Center'. Needless to say, I went a little cray cray! There was a shop in particular called 'Fragonard', where I bought some goodies, which I'll include in my 'Paris haul' blog post!
We popped into Ladurees for some macaroons to bring back to England as gifts. When we bought them, I didn't even think about them going out of date, or where to store them. I later read on their leaflet that they last between 2-3 days and should be stored at the back of your fridge.

Now, A) we didn't have a fridge in our hotel room, and B) I wouldn't be back in Manchester for about 5 days! Eshhk! So, we unfortunately had to eat them ourselves. Alright, alright, it was hardly a chore! But still, after spending 16 euro on a box of 8, it was slightly bittersweet. So, be wary!

After a half an hour queue, we payed 11 euros each to enter the Louvre and an additional 5 each for an interactive headset/Nintendo guide. By the way, if you go to the Louvre the first Sunday of every month, it's free!

We then walked through the the jardin des tuileries and all along the champ elysees, until we reached the arc de triomphe!


We spent the evening moseying around the Latin quarter...
Only we could go to Paris and have dinner in a Greek taverna!