Sunday 25 January 2015

Brew Break #12 Diptyque Samples

Happy Sunday Petals!

For the past two years, my signature perfume has been Black by Zara. At Madeleine Shaw's first supper club two years ago, I was sat with a charming Irish lady who smelt incredible. I asked what she was wearing, popped into Zara the next day and bought two bottles. Not only does it tread the fine line between sultry and sophisticated, it's also perfect handbag size AND only £8 for a 50ml bottle - which for a student like me, is jackpot! Zara perfumes are my biggest beauty secret... don't tell anyone ;-)

However, for years I've dreamt of buying the elusive Philosykos by Diptyque. When I first heard beauty gurus rave about this cult classic, I knew I'd love it as 'syko' means fig in Greek - my kryptonite! The scent transports me back to my home in Corfu instantly. The thing is, it's hard to justify £70 on a bottle, when a one way ticket to Greece in the Summer is half the price!

As it's my name day today, I may have to dip into Diptyque (see what I did?).


 I've always known that before I ever take the plunge, I definitely want to sample it first. On a whim back in October, I emailed the brands Parisian headquarters shamelessly asking for samples. To my surprise, out of the blue a month later an email landed in my inbox from their client services executive asking for my address. Within days, a bunch of samples from their Marylebone store were in my hands! I'm amazed at their generosity, considering that their competitors (I'm looking at you, Jo Malone) charge a staggering £38 for a teeny-tiny sample box - yes, really. 


I asked for a sample of philosykos (they sent me both the eau de toilette, the eau de parfum and the body lotion) and the Eau Rose, just out of curiosity as I'm a rose fiend! During December, I worked my way through the testers and aimed to wear them on days out, to judge my friends reactions and test their longevity. My experiment lead me to one conclusion: (in the words of Estée) I'm gon need that!

Not only were they incredibly generous, they also included a sweet personalised message in the package... BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!


I was scrolling through Nylon's Instagram page recently and saw Diptyque's new Florabellio fragrance, which is supposedly inspired by crashing waves. Hmm, I think I might have to book a fragrance fitting!


What's your favourite Diptyque scent?